While the title ‘SURFING FITNESS TRAINING MUST INCLUDE SPECIFIC SURFING EXERCISES’ seems obvious – in many cases many surfers do not consider surfing exercises to be a part of their surfing training.
Surfing Training is still believed by many surfers to be heading for the beach and getting in the water – they think that ‘just surfing’ is the best option towards faster improvement as a surfer. While surfing is obviously the best way to develop necessary surfing skills there are many other ideas to consider such as:
* Surfing is an athletically demanding sport and EVERY other sport on earth requires sport specific conditioning for improved performance
* Back Pain and upper neck tension common in surfers that inhibits surfing movement or ranges of motion required in the ocean
* Poor Core Strength leading to poor performance, muscular overuse a lack of endurance and surfing power while adding to back pain
* Shoulder Weaknesses and Muscular Imbalances that affect surfing performance and longevity as a surfer
* Poor Surfing Flexibility that affects anyone trying to surf better and leads to lower energy levels, and frequently leads to muscular tears in the legs, groin and hip area common in all athletes.
* Poor fitness and general swimming power which means a more dangerous environment when people loose their boards
* and Rotator Cuff Injuries just to name a few.
If surfing exercises do not address the above or are not apart of a surfing training program it is very likely that surfers will suffer from poor performance, lower energy and pain in the water.
This can and often means that at any one time more than 60% of surfers suffer from a niggling injury or problem that if left to ‘fix itself’ will invariably be made worse by surfing. It is catch 22 we all love to surf, we will almost do anything to catch more waves and get in the water when there are waves yet that very action could be worsening our back problems, niggling shoulders, lack of flexibility and neck tension.
For any surf training program to be effective it must include specific surfing exercises that address each individuals needs and are performed out of the water so one can perform better in the water.
One of my favorite surfing exercises called the Russian Twist that when performed correctly helps with both posture, core strength and rotational power for surfing. There are many such Sport Specific Surfing Exercises like this, that when performed out of the water will definitely enhance surfing power and performance.
Remember, surfing is our medicine – for private performance coaching to improve your surfing fitness and surfing mind-body contact Hayden at email@example.com
For Fast Surfing Fitness click the tab above.
SURF TRAINING SECRETS
Powering Stronger Surfers